Monday, April 26, 2010

Insanely Addicting Healthy Low Fat Brownies/Blondies



I modified a recipe from the Sneaky Chef cook book to make these, and I can't stop eating them. Offer these to peeps and try to make them guess what healthy ingredients are hiding inside. They'll never know there are white beans, oat bran, wheat germ, & whole wheat flour in these goodies!

8 tblsp unsalted butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup white bean puree (either drain & rinse canned beans, or soak & cook dried beans. Puree with 1-2 tblsp water)
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp butterscotch flavoring, optional (I didn't have any)
3 eggs (Modification: I used 6 egg whites instead)
1/2 tsp salt (since I used canned beans, I omitted the salt. canned beans come packed in sodium already)
3/4 cup oat bran
1 cup flour blend (1/3 white flour, 1/3 whole wheat flour, 1/3 wheat germ. I keep a lot of this flour blend on hand)
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips, toffee bites, walnuts, pecans, dried cranberries, dried blueberries, or whatever you want (optional; I used toffee bites because that's what I had on hand)
Modification: I also added 1/2 cup cocoa powder, which made these a cross between a brownie & a blondie. Cocoa powder is highly recommended! I'd put in even more next time.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Butter or spray the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch baking pan (I laid wax paper on it so I wouldn't have to use butter or cooking spray)

In a saucepan over medium0low heat, melt butter & sugar (stirring frequently). Remove from heat, let it cool a bit.

Then right into the saucepan whisk in white bean puree, vanilla, butterscotch (if using), eggs, & salt (omit if using canned beans). Add oat bran, flour blend, cocoa powder (if using), mix until just combined but don't overmix. Add in chocolate chips or whatever additional goodies you want. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking pan.

Bake 30-33 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool, then cut into squares (although I did that step while they were still warm, and was I ever glad I did! Warm blondies were so delicious...yummm.. .)

Keeps in the fridge, covered for a week. You can also freeze extras for later; they thaw quickly since they're small.

No comments:

Post a Comment